Friday, September 30, 2011

Blood Bowl seems right this time of year.

So this is a multipurpose post this time, I have been experimenting with a new light box and wanted to go through my Blood Bowl minis.  I also would love to get a game or two in.  I am thinking that with any luck I will finish painting the Skaven and the last of the Undead team in the next week or so.

Skaven






























Undead

















Human
























Wood Elves
The wife's team
Chaos
Dwarves
Orcs

Misc 


 







Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Definitely not filler.

Updates, so I have been redesigning my blog layout and preparing for my next model conversion.

I have a couple of projects in the works, one is a Tyranid Swarmlord conversion, and the other is a custom set of wings for a Tyranid Hive Tyrant.

In this down time I give you something to discuss among yourselves.
This link is to a great GW mini catalog wiki.  I use it often when I get odd stuff in eBay lots, and when I go to resale that oddball stuff.
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Friday, September 16, 2011

Full auto shotgun the AA-12




This will be a departure from my normal hobby posts.  I was fortunate enough to be invited out to see the production shop and test out the Full automatic shotgun AA-12.

 I handle a business account for the owner of the company, who also engineered the redesign of this weapon system.  I got to see remote controlled building clearing armed treaded robots, remote controlled armed helicopters, and a ton of incredibly cool weapons in development.
A big thanks goes out to Jerry for the invite and tour.








video
video

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Chapterhouse wheeled chimera pt 4






Base coat of primer and many rivets have been removed.  I am very happy with the finished product on this kit.  Stay tuned for my next post, it is not gaming related but promises much awesomeness.









Just a little hint.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Chapterhouse wheeled chimera pt 3









Almost finished, front panels have all been sanded and blended.  Once again this was done with greenstuff for the deep gaps and superglue & baking soda for the very shallow voids. Then wet sanded with 400 grit sandpaper.

I have decided to remove most of the rivets, and at least prime it in a very nice shade of gray.  So that it is both painted and capable of annoying Corey at the same time.





Front panel before filling and sanding.
Front panel after sanding.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Chapterhouse wheeled chimera pt 2







To answer Nick @ Chapterhouse (thanks btw) I aligned the side panels using the angles on the plastic chassis and the rear door as seen in these 2 photos.  Had I used the existing register keys on the resin kit the side panels would have been shifted up about an 1/8 of an inch resulting in a gross mismatch and a bad looking kit.
















I added a small strip of plastic to the bottom front of the chassis to bring the bottom of the hull in-line with the side panels and to give me an hard line to bring the filler up to.  Other than the gaps visible in pt1 this is the other major area to work on. this is a result of the original sculpt not having the right angle to line up with the plastic chassis.  A problem but not bad considering its a resin/plastic hybrid made by 2 different companies (also the front bumper piece will cover much of this up).







I was going to fill the front gap with GS but changed my mind and went with a thin band of plastic card. so that I could have a smooth finish.  In the left hand corner of this photo you can see some GS building up the edge of the vehicle.  Once I got the GS sanded level with the plastic chassis it began to peel away b/c it was so thin.  I had to use a different method to fill this area and build it up to a proper flat panel.  I used Baking soda and super glue to fill it.







For those that are unfamiliar with the method, Baking soda is a super glue accelerant and filler. Pack the gap level with baking soda and add a drop or two of thin super glue, it will set nearly instantly and be nearly transparent.  It is actually over the GS in the above pic.


I am changing the front end a little bit, the bottom half will be set at a slightly different angle using another band of plastic card and then it is ready for the bumper.









Speaking of the bumper, this is the only piece to have any bubbles or voids (seen in black sharpie) and they are small & easy to fix.    Far better quality control on the casting side than Forgeworld, Finecast, or most other resin companies I have used.

Friday, September 2, 2011

Assembling a Chapterhouse wheeled chimera kit

So I got a wheeled chimera upgrade kit for my Necromunda Arbites.


COMPLETED PROJECT SUMMARY HERE


Here is a walkthrough and review of the kit.

1 It does not fit together, at all.  If you do not have a dremel tool, good razor saw and files this kit is not for you. If you have not worked with resin kits before and do not have patience skip this one.





The areas in black sharpie on the side panels is material that I had to remove for this kit to begin to fit together.







In this photo you can see the saw being held flush to the side while cutting the excess material away.







Here is a photo from the other angle, you can see that you will be leaving a small amount of resin less than 1/8th inch thick.







Now the sides fit the plastic box and we can get to the gaps that need to be filled.